Monday, 24 January 2011

The Anatomy of a Book

Today I have learnt about the anatomy of a book. Book design incorporates content, format, design and sequence into a coherent whole.

Leaves - Individual sheets
Pages - Leaves have a front and a back which are referred to as pages
Page spread - When bound together the left and right page are centered on a gutter where they are bound together at the spine

Types of binding

Imposition - precise arrangement of multiple pages on a large sheet
Pagination - process of diving and numbering documents in to pages

We created a mini book by folding an A2 piece of paper and then cutting it. I have created these diagrams to show where/how each page would be laid out. The scissors show where has to be cut.


Book Making Workshop

I later attended a book making workshop, creating these three books. The first one has holes drilled in the middle, and has been fasted with sewing. The second book features a japenese sewing bind. The third book is a concentina book with a hardback cover.